Thursday, December 6, 2007

old faithful

I had one of those days...you know..the type that you run like a fool the whole day and get almost nothing done.

Why? We are currently running 3 businesses in our premises (and 2 outwith) with a very bare minimum of staff (just 5.5 in our studio). One of the services we offer in Rocket-Print is a large format fine art reproduction service for artists using the giclee method.

This was installed a few years ago at the urgent behest of the youngest studio partner who said he would look after it......so of the original four involved in the project, I am the one left running it, and I was the one who didn't particularly want it. Haha..typical !

However, after the oh-so-insistent one, who had so desperately wanted it, had left the studio for yet another venture, I was still left with this expensive bit of kit and a growing client list for it. Solution! tag it onto Rocket-Print as an added service, with a couple of people running it.

But really! I must give off this signal! Every time I'm alone in the studio, with everyone off at lunch or even at 3 in the morning, the phone rings..sucker here picks it up..and behold....it's an artist wanting some work done. Not one of the eccentric, fun, ones, or any of the good friends I have in the local art community .....oh no no...it has to be the semi-depressed, introverted ones. You know..the ones that having a conversation with is like sandpapering your eyeballs ...and STILL i can't get them off the phone '

Today I came up with the solution - 'sorry' says I, ' must go..I'm smelling something really hot here, I think I'm on fire' Would she take the hint? Like hell! This woman kept on asking inane questions about this and about that. I just let nature take it's course, kept muttering 'hmm' in the right places, and eventually the ordeal ended.

My day hadn't though, and with concentration shot to hell, I once more cursed, silently, the ex-designer who had started all this.

Serves me right for not sticking to my guns!

No comments: